London Sport are committed to making London the most active city in the world and to making this a lasting reality we must ensure that young people develop a resilient physical activity habit for life.
An active child is a healthier and happier young person who is more likely to be prosperous and to realise their potential in life. We’re working with a number of organisations to help to embed positive attitudes towards regular physical activity in young people, particularly focusing on those who were previously inactive.
We are committed to
- Meeting the needs of all young people
- Developing young people’s physical literacy
- Emphasising the social, emotional and health outcomes as well as the physical benefits
- Avoiding bad or negative experiences
- Encouraging competence & enjoyment
Any effective strategy must be empathetic to the young people we want to inspire and affect every child in the city. We must pioneer new approaches with like-minded organisations who are capable and willing to implement them.
To make it easier for schools to find suppliers who meet the needs of their young people we have created the School Sport Suppliers Hub, a simple on-line listing, search and review tool for school physical activity and sport:
- Listing – allowing school physical activity providers to list their school sports offer
- Search – allowing headteachers and PE co-ordinators to search for listed physical activity providers
- Review – allowing teaching staff to review physical activity providers
We will not be using the Hub to endorse or recommend any supplier, but will empower schools to make an informed choice of who is right for them. All suppliers on the Hub must meet the minimum standards which have been agreed by the national partners for PE and School Sport (Association of Physical Education, Youth Sport Trust, UK Coaching, UK Active and Sport England) and/or meet the UK Active Kids Code of Practice.
The Hub was officially launched on 16th November 2017 and will be tested by 170 schools and 70 suppliers between now and Christmas, prior to it being available across London from January 2018.
To make London schools more active, we need to provide teachers with practical solutions that meet the specific needs of their young people; I am sure that the School Sport Suppliers Hub will help us to meet this challenge.
For more information on the School Sport Suppliers Hub, get in touch with Gary Palmer at email@example.com