We are inviting local authorities and those who offer walking groups to Londoners to apply to take part in a digital behaviour change pilot launching in January 2019.
Earlier this year, we launched a digital behaviour change programme in partnership with Walking for Health and Make Sport Fun to support older adults who aren’t active to join free walking groups. We wanted to test if digital marketing could nudge people to start the behaviour change journey.
Between June and October 2018 we delivered three advertising campaigns across 10 London Boroughs and the initial results are encouraging. From these campaigns we’ve had 2,799 older people (aged 55+) sign up to the digital programme in total and supported 360 of them to join a local walking group.
For more details on the pilot see our recently published report: Using Facebook to recruit new participants for walking groups or watch the short film below.
We are now recruiting walking schemes to join version two of our pilot which will run from January to March 2019. Please see below for further details and how to apply to be involved.
Who can take part in our digital behaviour change pilot?
Requirements to take part:
- You have an existing or new programme of free health walks taking place in your borough. (We found that it works best if you are promoting at least four walks within your borough)
- You will need to upload details about these walks via the Open Sessions website www.opensessions.io. You also have the option to upload other activities for a 55+ audience, for example, Tai Chi, Walking Football, Seated Exercise
How much does it cost?
The cost to take part in version two of the pilot is £1,995 and this cost covers:
- Set up and management of Facebook ads in your borough throughout February and March 2019
- Provision of six months follow up support to all residents who sign up via text, email or messenger
- Weekly briefings and behind the scenes videos covering how to set up and manage a Facebook advertising campaign
- A training session on Facebook ads for up to two members of staff at Facebook headquarters in London
When is the deadline to apply to take part?
We will be accepting applications until 11 February 2019.
How to apply?
We currently have five remaining places for either London Boroughs of walking scheme providers. To express your interest in taking part, please email Chris Norfield, Behaviour Change Lead at [email protected] and for any questions call 0203 848 4630.