Opening School Facilities Fund
London Sport is offering schools the opportunity to apply for grants to help open their school facilities outside of school hours for their pupils, local young people and the wider community.
This fund, provided by the Department for Education, is designed to help schools deliver extra-curricular activities and open their facilities outside of the school day during evenings, weekends and school holidays.
OSF provides funding to schools for up to three years. The funding enables facilities at schools to be opened during non-school hours, broadening the offer of extra-curricular and out-of-school physical activities available to pupils and the wider community.
A London state funded Primary, Secondary, All-through, Special or Pupil Referral Unit, who:
- Are located in areas of higher social deprivation
- Has no current (or limited) community access onsite to your school sports facilities
All applications received from schools will be scored, with priority being given to schools who:
- Are located in areas of higher social deprivation
- Aim to deliver the project so that it engages citizens who find it hard to access opportunities to achieve the daily-recommended levels of physical activity, specifically people from ethnically diverse communities, poorer backgrounds, females, and those with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND)
See the School Information pack for full details on eligibility criteria for schools
As well as a potential grant, the following benefits to your school and local community:
- Short Term: Schools will receive support to help the facilitation of opening their school premises outside of the school day, to deliver both new extra-curricular and out of school hours community sessions, to benefit young people and adults in the community.
- Longer Term: Schools will be able to develop a sustainable business model from hiring their facilities to external organisations at affordable rates. Pupils will also benefit from having greater access and opportunity to take part in activities after school, at weekends and during holidays in their local area
For financial year until March 31st 2023
- 26th February 2023 – Finalised delivery plans must be submitted
- w/c 6th March and 13th March – Schools will be updated on whether their application has been successful
Expressions of interest for the first year of funding is now closed.
Our partners have created special offers specifically for schools taking part in the Opening Schools Facilities Programme. Each of these partners has a shared commitment to helping more young people enjoy the benefits of sport and physical activity.
Decathlon is the world’s largest sports retailer founded in 1976. They are dedicated to providing the best quality sports products at the lowest possible price, making sport accessible to everyone. Decathlon believes that discovering new sports and being active is an important part of life, something which can start in the school playground.
Benefits of a schools business account with Decathlon:
- Dedicated account manager – who will help guide and manage all purchases for you business
- Flexible payment options – card, gift card + invoice payments whichever suits your needs
- Personalisation – On hundreds of products to help create the best team wear
- Unbeatable value – Decathlon believes in its products so they have 2 years warranty + 365 days return on all decathlon brands
- Bulk offers – Ordering in bulk? We will offer you the best price when placing large orders (see a taster below)
Play Innovation offers unique physical activity experiences for people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds. It does this through its target games and accessories – which offer countless physical and mental benefits as well as teach key life skills – and by working collaboratively with partners to transform tired parks, playgrounds and ball courts into welcoming, inclusive and engaging social hubs.
As technology continues to shape the world of healthy living, EXERGAME is leading a new movement, incorporating technology into fitness. EXERGAME provides innovative ways to engage people through interactive fitness, gamification and technology.
Their goal is to merge interactive fitness programmes with high-tech equipment to help people get healthier and have more enjoyment. By doing this, they create socially engaged, supportive, and diverse fitness communities worldwide.
Case Studies, Blogs and News
London Sport has published case studies from Telferscot Primary School (Lambeth), Alexandra Park School (Haringey) and Park Walk Primary (Kensington & Chelsea) to support more schools to open up their sports facilities to the community. As well as outlining the specific project each school undertook, the case studies explain the impact of the project and recommendations to support your school get more children physically active.
Strategic Advisor for Children and Young People, Gary Palmer, looks at how opening up school facilities can play a major role in getting London’s young people active post-pandemic and the data behind London Sport’s funding priorities. Read his blog in full here and here.
London Sport welcomes new government funding to help schools open up sports facilities all year round. London Sport will receive part of a £1.6m government fund to assist schools open up their sports facilities all year round to boost physical activity levels in the capital. Read more here.
Funding has now closed and 84 schools have been awarded grants. In total, London Sport has distributed almost £800,000 across 23 boroughs. Read our full press release here.
More information and contact details:
You can read our FAQs here.
For more information and support around our School Facilities programme, please contact us on email@example.com.